Super Sport
April 1 2012


King Arthur eyes WBO title

01 April 2012, 17:45

Arthur Abraham has landed a shot at the WBO super-middleweight title
by beating Piotr Wilczewski.

The German, a former world champion who is known as King Arthur, beat
the Pole on points in Kiel on Saturday night.

Abraham is now the mandatory challenger for WBO champion Robert
Stieglitz, also of Germany. Stieglitz, however, is due to defend his
belt against Mikkel Kessler in Copenhagen op April 14.


The 32-year-old Armenia-born Abraham used to hold the IBF middleweight
title. He has won 34 of his 37 fights but at times looked unconvincing
in a tournament attended by about 6 000 on Saturday night.

"I tried to do what my coach told me," he said after the fight. "I
will train more and will be in shape for the world title."

Abraham was later taken to hospital after complaining of dizziness and
pain in his right ear. It was suspected that he had suffered a
perforated eardrum.

Having lost to Britain's Carl Froch and Americans Andre Dirrell and
Andre Ward during the Super Six series at super middleweight after
stepping up a division, Abraham has struggled to recapture his
previous form.

He was disqualified against Dirrell in March 2010 for hitting his
opponent after he slipped in the 11th round. It was the first defeat
of his career.

He then lost over 12 rounds to Froch in November 2010 and to Ward in
May last year.

BIG NIGHT ON APRIL 14

RON JACKSON reports that former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor
is set to return to the ring. He will meet Caleb Trauax in Biloxi,
Mississippi, on April 14.

On the same night, in Mexico City, Juan Manuel Marquez will face
Ukraine's Sergey Fedchenko for the interim WBO light-welterweight
belt. Marquez has held `world' titles at featherweight,
super-featherweight and lightweight.

And also on April 14, Tony Bellew will defend his British
light-heavyweight title against Danny McIntosh at the Echo Arena in
Liverpool.

Englishman James Degale is scheduled to defend his European
super-middleweight title against Cristian Sanavia in Frederikshavn,
Denmark, on April 21.

David Price and Sam Sexton have agreed to meet for the vacant British
heavyweight title. They will fight in Liverpool on May 19.

Former IBF and European middleweight champion Sebastian Sylevester has
retired from boxing, with a professional record of 31-5-1; 16.
The 35-year-old David Diaz, a former WBC lightweight champion, has
also announced his retirement. He finished with a record of 36-4-1;
17.

http://www.supersport.com/boxing/international/news/120401/King_Arthur_eyes_WBO_title



From: Emil Lazarian | Ararat NewsPress