The New Indian Express, India
June 29 2013

Armenians to celebrate 360 years in Chennai

By Express News Service - CHENNAI
29th June 2013 08:17 AM

The Republic of Armenia is planning to organise a grand celebration in
September this year in the presence of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa,
to commemorate 360 years of the Armenians' existence in Chennai.

The Armenian presence in Chennai began to increase since 1688. The
first known house of an Armenian at Fort St George is called
Admirality House today.

The Marmalong Bridge now called `Maraimalai Adilagar Bridge' was
originally built in 1726-28 by theArmenian Merchant Mr. Cogia Petrius
Uscan at his own expense.

The Armenian Church, constructed in 1712 and reconstructed in 1772, is
one of the oldest churches of the Indian subcontinent.

In addition to all the works done by them, The Armenian constitution
project for the Armenians named Vorogait Paratz was written in Chennai
by Hakob Shah Amirian and the Madras Group.

The Armenians settled here not only for trade, but also built several
historical artifacts which are famous worldwide