TURKEY INVITES ARMENIA TO MARK GALLIPOLI WAR ANNIVERSARY

Press TV, Iran
Jan 16 2015

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has invited his Armenian
counterpart to attend the ceremonies in marking the centenary of the
Battle of Gallipoli, coinciding with the Armenian genocide memorial.

Erdogan has sent out invitations to the leaders of 102 countries,
including Armenian President Serzh Sarkisian amid preparations for
massive ceremonies to mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of
Gallipoli in the Turkish town Canakkale on April 23 and 24.

"We fought as a kind together. That's why we have invited Sarkisian,"
a government official told Turkey's Hurriyet Daily News.

However, President Serzh Sarkisian has not yet commented on the
invitation as Armenia intends to commemorate the victims of the
Armenian genocide on April 24.

Ankara rejects the term genocide and instead says between the 300,000
and 500,000 Armenians, and at least as many Turks, who perished
between 1915 and 1917 were the casualties of World War I.

Last year Erdogan, the then Turkish premier, offered an unprecedented
expression of condolence for the massacres of Armenians.

Armenia, however, says that up to 1.5 million of its people were
killed and demand that their death must be recognized as genocide.

The battle of Gallipoli was a campaign of World War I that took place
on the Gallipoli peninsula in the Ottoman Empire between April 25,
1915 and January 9, 1916.

HJM/MKA/KA

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/01/16/393351/Turkey-invites-Armenia-to-genocide-anniv




From: A. Papazian