Equatorial Guinea waits for sir Mark to speak

Sapa-AFP
October 04 2004 at 02:20AM

Libreville - The trial in Equatorial Guinea of 19 people including 14
suspected mercenaries accused of plotting to overthrow President
Teodoro Obian Nguema will not resume on Monday as previously
announced, sources there said.

Eight South Africans, six Armenians and five Equato-Guineans,
including a former deputy minister, went on trial in Malabo in August
for allegedly plotting to oust Obiang, who has ruled the small central
African country since 1979.

The case was adjourned on August 31 at the request of the state's
attorney general, Jose Olo Obono, to get "further information" after
the arrest of Mark Thatcher in South Africa.

The son of the former British prime minister is suspected by
Equatorial Guinea and South Africa of financing the alleged plot.

The lawyer for the South African defendants recently told AFP that the
trial would resume on October 4. No official confirmation was
available.

Olo Obono could not be reached in Malabo in recent days.

Thatcher was arrested in South Africa, where he lives, and the South
African government has given permission for questions to be put to him
on behalf of Equatorial Guinea's prosecutor's office.

That hearing had been set for September 22 but has been postponed
until November 26. - Sapa-AFP